Dear all,

This is obviously a key topic that have been around, actually way before I was there in the OSM community ;-)

I completely agree with Séverin's warning and the comments from subsequent speakers.

To me we already have elements of the solution:

1. As expressed by John & Mikel, improving the TM can certainly help. I
   also suggested recently to split clearly the beginners projects from
   the rest on the homepage (and only make the advanced one visible by
   opening a menu/clicking a button, that would already prevent quite a
   few beginners access them I think). That implies also a clearer
   documentation/research on what is a beginner/medium/advanced tasks,
   based on emergency situation, features, imagery...
2. As a quick fix, some basic phrasing/warnings on the tasks could also
   be improved/increased. E.g. are we sure all new mappers go to the
   "Instructions" tab? Else a sentence in bold in tab one "Make sure to
   read instructions tab" could already help?
3. As expressed by Séverin & Heather, tweaking the TM will not do all
   and training will remain paramount. EOF is a great example of
   focusing on training a few quality mappers (particularly for African
   countries contexts), I think Missing Maps' repeated mapathons
   (specially in London) are also a good example and maybe more adapted
   to Western countries contexts. This is also why we focus mostly on
   non-disaster settings with MM, except with contributors with some
   experience.
4. Regular mapathons/in-depths training are the only way to train
   validators, a resource we are short on. As discussed regularly with
   the Missing Maps members, we also lack incentive/recognition for
   validators, this should be taken into account in the new TM.

I'll conclude by seconding Pete that the overall quality of data of OSM is mostly deemed as good by the humanitarians users we are & see - as expressed via the feedback from NGOs to contributors we're trying to develop.

So thanks to the whole community and let's continue improving.

Best

Martin