> From: "Thaj A. Sara" <thajas...@gmail.com>

> At the end of the day if someone only wants technical discussion they can
> skip these episodes, or contribute what they feel is lacking. Just my two
> cents.

In my mind, this is an open series, with an open format. I have a
particular way I want to do mine, but there's no reason why others
have to follow that structure. I don't see any reason why people can't
include how-tos, industrial films, documentaries, or even YouTube
videos, with or without technical or "hacker" qualities to them.

Thinking about it now, I believe that creating film reviews outside
the traditional entertainment industry, and its various associated
media engines, is one way of hacking that system. It's a small effort,
and probably ineffectual regarding changes to their business models;
but to my way of thinking, hacking isn't about other people and how
they do things, it's about me, and how I want to do them.

> From: cobra2 <cob...@linuxbasement.com>

> I'm interested if we can open this up to a pool larger than archive.org even
> though there is great content there. I surf the bargain bins and buy a lot
> of media from yard sales.
>
> My library is almost 95% sourced second hand. P2P counts as second hand
> right?

Again, since HPR won't host any of the films or videos, and therefore,
won't be redistributing them, there's no reason why reviews can't be
about anything from anywhere. Certainly, Lord D didn't care about that
stuff for "10 Buck Review", and he was one of the most Open Culture
guys I've known. DVDs, Netflix, YouTube; as far as I'm concerned, it's
all fair game, and ultimately up to the episode host. I'm going to
focus on Public Domain and CC content, but that's just me.

So, unless I hear any compelling arguments against this -- and I
haven't yet -- I'm going to go ahead with this series idea. People can
join in and contribute their own reviews, or not, in any way they see
fit. All are welcome. These episodes will be easy enough to ignore for
those who don't like them; as always, if you'd like to see other
content on HPR, there's an easy solution to that, and you already know
what it is.

--
http://www.cavalcadeaudio.com/