On 5 Mrz., 01:17, xraycrystallographer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> This helps!  I think this means that I need to do an accurate lens
> calibration--I assume
> the instructions in the tutorial are still valid?  I am in the process of
> building a
> panorama head (based on a theodolite base) and recognize how important
> camera position is.

Let me propose a quick way for calibrating: make a full spherical
360X180 panorama with no parallactic errors (you'll have to have your
NPP centerd) and 50% overlap. Do it indoors in a setting with
structured content all around you (try ornate buildings). Then find
CPs with autopano-sift-c with

--maxdim 6000 --maxmatches 0 --projection %f,%v %o %i

(assuming 6000 is bigger than your biggest image dimension)

or, alternatively, use cpfind with --fullscale

you'll get absolute tons of CPs, like literaly thousands with apsc and
hundreds with cpfind. Optimize everything but translation, clean your
CPs and optimize again. The a,b,c,d,e and v values will be very close
to optimal and you can save that as a lens profile. Note that if your
lens isn't fixed to the body, with every take you'll have to
reoptimize d and e, but a,b and c will not change overly much. You may
choose not to optimze c and fix it at zero.

Keep in mind that if you're using a fisheye there is no NPP but only a
point of least parallax for a given angle between images - meaning you
can't ever get it 100% right. But if you're 99.9% there, the blender
will sort out the rest.

>  This brings up another question.  With my home-built
> panorama head I can read the yaw to better than 30" of a degree.  I note
> that in general the scatter in the yaw angles differs by quite a bit more
> than I would expect--some times +/- 1degree or more from the actual angle.  
> Would I be better off fixing the yaw at the set angle? I realize there is
> probably some slop in things like the lens fitting on the camera etc., etc.,
> etc., but I should be able to fix most of these.

I'm also using a homemade pano head, and I don't ever make an effort
to be very precise about the angles - the optimizer sorts it out as
long as you have enough overlap and your calibration is good. The
scatter should lessen with good calibration - once you have that it's
- as I said - just nudging the correctly transformed data into place.

Kay

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Hugin and other free panoramic software" group.
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: 
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx

Reply via email to