I live in Longmont,CO. I had a notice on the door to make an appt. with the
water company for changing out me meter. My boyfriend called to make an appt.
and they tried to make out, meter gets changed out about ever 10 yrs. or so -
this is a routine thing. We have only been in this house about 3 yrs. and this
is our first home owner experience.
   When they can be told us they would be installing a smart meter, red flags
went up inside me. I have heard all the reason to decline and have been told by
others - my bill will go up if they need someone on foot, to come to my house,
JST to read the meter every month. Still, I jumped online and looked up - why
they are not especially safe or healthy.
    I grilled the guy that by that time had already installed the smart
meter... Asking them why people say, they can blow up and start fires if not
installed correctly. He says, none of our have bliwn-uo, because we install
them correctly.
    I asked about the wi-fi feature and told him, it keeps people up at night
and some say it hums. He told where the receivers were in the neighborhood but,
poo-pooed any humming would be a disturbance. I asked how many times a day dies
the box talk to the neighborhood receiver and he told me - many times, not just
a couple times daily.
    I asked it this device causes a loss of jobs with it being wi-fi and no one
needed to read them & he boosted on how more accurate they are, with removing
human error. If they see a trend of you using more water than you usually do,
they will be flagged to come see if you have a leak somewhere.
    So, this morning, the first day  after the smart meter was installed. I get
up, go to take my dog out and I hear loud humming between my neighbor's yard
and ours. Of course it a bit quiet at 6AM on a Saturday morning but, there was
a breeze hear and it was still loud over the sound of the breeze. Can't wait to
hear it, without the breeze. By the time I walked the dog around the house, the
humming was gone.
    Is it a coinsedence I heard this humming a day after the smart meter was
installed... I am beginning to have my doubts. =[