On 3/09/2001, 15:31:53, Martin Duerst wrote:
> The security stuff is clearly overblown. The other arguments
> before, about actual mixed use in books and newspapers, are
> much more serious.
>
Let me tell you my story. I am Romanian (living in the Netherlands
for 4.5 years).
During my primarelly school, I learn the Romanian alphabet
as all Romanian living in Romania. This is:
A, A with a litle hat (tipografically called A breve), A with
circumflex, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, I with circumflex, J, K, L,
M, N, O, P, R, S, S with a small tail (tipografically called
S comma below, or S comma accent), T, T with a small tail
(tipografically called T comma below, or T comma accent), U,
V, X, Z.
Besides this, we use "-" to connect two words, the german
double quotations as a simple quotation marks and the french
quotations as double quotation marks (if embeded in the
first ones).
About cedilla I learn much later, during my French class,
where we learn that we have to put that under the letter C
in order to change it's sound to S. I was never been able to
draw it. The same with the "&" symbol, which I draw it as 8c
when necessary.
If you ask an Romanian about accents in Romanian you will get
the answer: "Which accents?" This is because we don't have
accents on the letters. The French does. Their alphabet doesn't
contain A circumflex or A acute, etc, because all that are
the letter A with some accents. Romanian letters Scommabelow,
Tcommabelow, Abreve, Icircumflex and Acircumflex are letters
on their own. It is just unfortunatelly that they look similar
with some other letters. It is the same story for the Nordic
languages concerning the A with a ring above or O with a slash.
Concerning the fonts. In most of the fonts cedilla is like
that:
.....00...
......00..
..0000....
..........
or
.....00...
......00..
..0000....
..........
..........
while the comma bellow is:
..........
....00....
.....0....
....0.....
or
..........
....00....
....00....
.....0....
....0.....
There are not such fonts (or verry litle) containing
comma below.
Some time, (I hate those fonts) there is something else
there instead of cedilla or commabelow.
It is looking like that:
....00..
...00...
..00....
....00..
....00..
..00....
This one is very confuzing and this was made by some fancy
fonts designer which have no ideea themselfs what that is.
Going back to the differences in between commabelow and cedilla,
if we ignore that stuff above looking like a small 5 without its
cover, I can tell you that is no confuzion between them. Cedilla
is always connected to the main part of the letter. Commabelow
is always separated by the main part of the letter.
You can see some stuff about the Romanian alphabet on:
http://httpd.chello.nl/s.ciobica/page.html
as well as few pictures the see the differences between Scommabelow
and Scedilla.
Best regards,
Ionel
_______________________________________________
I18n mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/i18n