On 3/09/2001, 11:55:17, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> Kaixo!
>
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 09:55:51AM +0200, Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă? wrote:
> > Some time, (I hate those fonts) there is something else
> > there instead of cedilla or commabelow.
> > It is looking like that:
> >
> > ....00..
> > ...00...
> > ..00....
> > ....00..
> > ....00..
> > ..00....
>
> That is not "something else", that is a cedilla. It is the shape used for
> serifed fonts (eg: Times and the like). It is also closer to the original
> shape.
Well, I think this is the source of confusion, since this shape
is in between the comma and cedilla. Cedilla is more horizontal
and the comma is more vertical. This is a cedilla vertical which
I found not good.
>
> Note also that, at least in French, Catalan and Walloon (I don't know about
> other languages using cedillas, also the three above only use it on "c")
> the shape of the cedilla can be just stroke, a comma like or even a single
> dot below the letter, depending on the font face.
Brazilians are using too. As far I am concern this cedilla stuff
is only for the Ccedilla. I am not sure what about the Turkish
Scedilla/Scommabelow, but I can say that no nation on this world
is needing Tcedilla.
>
> > Going back to the differences in between commabelow and cedilla,
> > if we ignore that stuff above looking like a small 5 without its
> > cover, I can tell you that is no confusion between them. Cedilla
> > is always connected to the main part of the letter.
>
> No, not always. Often, always on serifed fonts, but on sans serif, or
> on fancy looking fonts there isn't that requirement.
And this because the people involve in this work don't really
know about it.
>
> > Commabelow
> > is always separated by the main part of the letter.
>
> I would say it like this: a cedilla can look sometimes as a comma below;
> but a comma below never looks like a cedilla (eg: like a connected hook
> below).
If you like it better that way, OK. Someone may misinterpreted a
cedilla as a comma, but never a comma as a cedilla.
Ionel
_______________________________________________
I18n mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/i18n