Hi,

At 10 Sep 2001 19:59:30 +0100,
Juliusz Chroboczek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1. The return value of XCreateFontSet is not checked.  Tomohiro, could
> you please fix that?  It would be reasonable to either abort XTerm in
> that case, or to print a warning and continue in Root style, or
> perhaps to switch to the fixed fontset and try again.  Please make
> sure that you avoid looping if you chose the latter fix.

I will fix it.  Thanks.


> 2. Why XCreateFontSet fails in the first place.  The short answer is
> that XCreateFontSet has some requirement about available charsets,
> requirements which are probably not met.  I'm not going to try to work
> it out.

I cannot imagine XCreateFontSet with "*" fails, because it doesn't
fail if it find at least one font out of needed fonts for the locale.
Interesting.  This may be because of:
 - no "iso8859-1" fonts installed
 - broken XLC_LOCALE


> This only confirms me in my belief that XIM is a fragile protocol that
> relies on a lot of things in the environment; however, we're probably
> stuck with it for now.

I don't think XIM is fragile.  It is widely used for many years.
However, it might be difficult for non-CJK people to use XIM because
there might be few user-level informations on how to use it in
non-CJK world.

I also think UTF-8 XLC_LOCALE is not yet mature.


---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/
_______________________________________________
I18n mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/i18n

Reply via email to