Hi,

> I cannot imagine XCreateFontSet with "*" fails, because it doesn't
> fail if it find at least one font out of needed fonts for the locale.
> Interesting.  This may be because of:
>  - no "iso8859-1" fonts installed
>  - broken XLC_LOCALE
I have finally figured out, why XCreateFontSet() fails.
It was due to a broken font installed on the system.
Somewhere in a deep callstack withing xlib, XListFontsWithInfo() returns without
error, but also with setting the &font_set->info argument it gets passed from
load_font_info() to 0x0. Next thing happening in load_font_info() is
        if (font_set->info == NULL)
                          return False;
This goes all the way up the stack until XCreateFontSet() fails.
(When I test the font with xfd the error message is
        X Error of failed request:  82
        Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
        Serial number of failed request:  45
        Current serial number in output stream:  46
)

I also have the crazy idea, that the font was "broken" because it's name and
alias entry in the fonts.alias file were the same. When I removed these entries
and re-ran mkfontdir, everything was fine.

> > This only confirms me in my belief that XIM is a fragile protocol that
It wasn't really a XIM problem ...

Cheers,

Kerstin
.
_______________________________________________
I18n mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/i18n

Reply via email to