Hi,
At 11 Sep 2001 21:54:31 +0100,
Juliusz Chroboczek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>TK> I don't think XIM is fragile. It is widely used for many years.
> So is MS Windows ;-)
I input hundreds and thousands of letters using XIM every day
for daily purpose, not development purpose. It is my personal
impression that XIM is stable unlike MS Windows. I never heard
that Japanese people complaining about unstable XIM, though I
sometimes hear about unstable Mozilla, Japanese-undisplayable
Tcl/Tk, heavy Java, and so on.
> For example, there is no place where XTerm uses the XFontSet
> mechanism. However, XIM support imposes that we use font sets, thus
> pulling in a whole new range of bugs.
Are you saying that nothing should be added to XTerm? Any
addition of feature are potential cause of bugs. XFontSet
is a technology which is used for long years and useful.
There are no standardized way other than XIM to input CJK languages.
Please develop an alternative protocol if you think so.
I have a request to the alternative method. Japanese people
want to use Canna, Wnn, and SKK via your new protocol.
(I think you of course know that Canna, Wnn, and SKK themselves
are not XIM because I imagine you know well about input methods.)
I want you to modify many XIM client softwares to support
your new protocol as soon as possible so that Japanese people
don't feel inconvenience. Hmm, how do you plan to modify
XIM-supporting proprietary softwares?
If you think XIM is Cartago and you are Rome, please show
your plan is bettern than XIM.
---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N" http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/
_______________________________________________
I18n mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/i18n