Mach, Haibin, and KwanKooq:

Joel gave you brief answers and then suggested reading the document.  As one
of the co-authors, I will attempt to give the "longer" answers. I hope this
will encourage discussion sections in the architecture document.

This is not suggest current flaws in the architecture draft, but to
elucidate (explain in depth) some of the drafts concepts.  You may be asking
questions that we hope will be discussed on the list, but I cannot tell yet.
There are many sections in the architecture draft end with the phrase
"Editor's note: This topic (or These topics) need more discussion in the
working group."  We encourage discussion of these drafts.

If I am not answering the question, please just tell me.  The important part
of this work is to get an architecture and drafts that can be implemented in
routers and switches.

Ok.. enough introduction.  On to a longer review that ends in a question:

Review:
---------

In section 1.2, page 6 (bottom) of the -00 version of the architecture
draft, I states:

"   As can be seen in Figure 1, an I2RS client can communicate with
   multiple I2RS agents.  An I2RS client may connect to one or more I2RS
   agents based upon its needs.  Similarly, an I2RS agent may
   communicate with multiple I2RS clients - whether to respond to their
   requests, to send notifications, etc.  Timely notifications are
   critical so that several simultaneously operating applications have
   up-to-date information on the state of the network."

Note here that the architecture states you may have one agent talking to
multiple I2RS clients.  Once you enter this zone, you can have collisions.
In the beginning , we talk and talked about ways that you could handle
collisions - but we want to start simple.

The phrase "protocol parsimony is clearly a goal" (section 3.1, p. 9)
suggest we are trying to implement just a few things in the first version of
I2RS Clients and I2RS Agents.  From there, the I2RS protocol will be
extended later.

The simple rule for multi-headed control (section 6.8) is to consider that
two clients manipulating the same piece of data is an error. For example,
configuring an static route of prefix 192.1.1.0/24 should only be done by
one client.  If two I2RS clients try to change the same piece of data in the
same I2RS Agent, it is an error.

The architecture then requires that the I2RS clients and Agents have a
decidable way for the Agent to resolve the error.   Section 6.8 states our
simple way:
1) assign each client a priority (either by policy or default policy)
2) If the priorities tie, the first client "whose attribution is associated
with the data" keeps the control.

That means - if you tie is First-come-keeps-control (FCKC)

This is important to consider when you look at data models, scope (Section
2, p. 7-8), and identity.  You will note that the RIB manager is the easiest
thing to start with.  Only one person can change one prefix, but multiple
I2RS clients can add different prefixes to the list.

Now, what if I2RS client A wants to add 10 prefixes to the RIB and this
includes 192.1.1.0/24 to a single I2RS agent and I2RS client B wants to add
1 prefix 192.1.1.0/24.   Does it cause a problem with I2RS client A if I24S
Client B gets there first (FCKC), and only 9 prefixes get added.

That very issue is what section 6.9 deals with.

Questions:
-----------
1. Are you trying to determine what happens when the multi-headed control
hits one of these errors?  [See Sections 6.5, 6.6, 6.8 and 6.9]

2. Are you trying to build redundant clients (I2RS client A and I2RS Client
A') which are redundant clients?  [See section 6.4.1]

3.  Are you concerned about multi-headed control with multiple interfaces
per client?
   (You could have 4 SCTP and 4 TCP session over which this protocol runs)
[Section 6.2]

4. How does a I2RS client A that reads the data know when I2RS Client B
modifies the Data?
[Section 6.8]

Sue Hares