From: sve...@sfsu.edu
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 15:20:49 -0700
To: sl...@lists.sugarlabs.org; iaep@lists.sugarlabs.org
Subject: [IAEP] Sugarlabs and Sugar are different

It's been interesting to watch the conversations around vision, mission,
marketing, etc. over the last few weeks. Several observations emerge. Here are
a few that I think are relevant to us.

1) There is a lot of confusion over the terms. Vision, Mission, Goals, etc. 2)
Perhaps the confusion stems from not knowing how these pieces fit together, and
the roles these play.
3) There are several confounding variables at play. For example, Sugar is a
FOSS project. Sugarlabs is an agency established to foster/facilitate/support
Sugar, the project. However, the two are not the same. So, in our effort to
establish a strategic plan, the unit of analysis should be clear. For me, as a
SLOB member, the unit of analysis is Sugarlabs, the agency. Everything I look
at, is through that lens, including Sugar, OLPC, Sugarizer, etc.

I've put together a screencast describing how all these things are related. I
hope this will bring some clarity.
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/1/18/Sugarlabs-strategy-overview.webm

cheers,
Sameer