In a recent note, Barry Merrill said:

> Date:         Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:56:17 -0500
>
> It's my understanding that the Exclusive ENQUEUE on SYS1.UADS
> for a TSO user came about during the last night of testing for
> the initial release of TSO, the design of which was based on
> models of how TSO should work by Alan Scheer
>   (and when TSO didn't match his model, unlike most modelers,
>    he changed TSO to match the model, rather than changing the model).
>
> The TSO development group had a room with a dozen or so terminals,
> and Alan took a break about midnight, and came back to a terminal,
> logged on, but was unable to get any reply messages to his commands,
> although the commands were obviously being accepted.  A few minutes
> later, a compatriot called from across the room "There are a bunch
> of messages to you on this terminal over here, Alan", and he realized
> that he had remained logged on at one terminal, and had then logged
> on a second time from the second terminal, and there had been no
> specification for protection for multiple logons by a single user!
>
> The exclusive Enqueue was added to prevent duplicate logons about 2am,
> and the first iteration of TSO Product was delivered, on schedule,
> to PID at 6am that same morning.

So an onerous restriction, peculiar to IBM, came about through
a late-night patch for a bad design.

If there was no specification of preventing multiple logons,
then preventing multiple logons to circumvent misrouting of
messages was a change in the specification, and, I'd say, of
the model.  The correct fix would have been to route messages
to the originating session, rather than brute-force prohibition
of multiple sessions.

It was a fundamental design flaw to confuse session-id with
user-id.  TSO has institutionalized this rather than attempting
to correct it.

-- gil
--
StorageTek