In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on
06/22/2005
   at 12:11 PM, "Kok, Howi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I'm not sure if I should post this in this list.

Yes; it's the most appropriate list for your question.

>I'm not sure if I should post this in this list.  Anyway, I hope
>some of you can help me out.  We have a batch DB2 COBOL program PGMA
>that calls an assembler program PGMB to open, read, and close four
>VSAM files.  I don't know why PGMB closes only two of the files.

PGMB is broken. Instead of trying to live with the bug, why not try to
get it fixed?

>Upon PGMA termination we would get SC03 abends with messages IEC999I
>IFG0TC0A,IFG0TC0B,jobname,stepname,DEB ADDR = debaddr,DSN = VSAM
>data set name  for the two closed files.

ITYM for the two files that are not closed.

>According to the programmer there is no problem
>when the PGMB is called from a non-DB2 COBOL program.

He's mistaken.

>What should be done differently when the assembler program is called
>from a DB2 COBOL program?

Nothing in this case.

>Should we not close any files and let the system detect the DEBs and
>close them?

No, PGMB should close all files that it opens. If the programmer
refuses to do so, discuss it with your and his management.