Actually, the rubber mallet on the 2821 was used to fix parity problems in the 1403 core matrix. Intermittent print checks was the symptom. BTW, a well place foot worked in lieu of a mallet. one of my first lessons as a CE......

Doug

Eric Bielefeld wrote:

snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I remember a 1403 control unit where the CE pounded on it with a big hard rubber mallet, and then it started working again. Very interesting stuff back then.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. Systems Programmer
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
414-475-7434

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anne & Lynn Wheeler" <l...@garlic.com>

i got a student programming job in '66 ... was re-implementing 1401 MPIO
(unit record<->tape) front-end for 709 ... on 360/30. possibly just a
learning exercise starting to have people getting familiar with 360 and
getting ready for the 360/67 that was coming in (to replace the 709/1401
combo).