From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
McKown, John
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 12:20 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: asynchronous file open?

This is likely a crazy question. But I'm wondering if anybody has come up with
a way to do what I will call an asynchronous open of a tape or disk file?
Basically, what I want to do is an OPEN with an ECB= operand. When the OPEN
completes, the ECB is posted with the return code from OPEN. Why? So that I can
do other things while, perhaps, a tape is being mounted. Things such as doing
other BSAM type async I/O, or TCP/IP communications, or operator communications
via a MODIFY, all with a STIMER REAL going which invokes an async exit which
POSTs as "time out" type ECB.

What really brought this on was a desire to do a MODIFY to a job which was
"hung" on a tape mount to tell the step to terminate. Why not cancel? Because
that causes an S222 or S122 abend which is tracked for production jobs and
results in "pain points" being assigned for "having something go wrong." Even
when it was a hardware failure. Software should not terminate abnormally for
any reason. Not even if the entire CEC fails! <sarcasm/> And certainly not just
because there is some tape hardware problem!

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell

intended
information.
distribution