On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 12:20:05 -0600, McKown, John wrote:

>This is likely a crazy question. But I'm wondering if anybody has come up with
>a way to do what I will call an asynchronous open of a tape or disk file?
>Basically, what I want to do is an OPEN with an ECB= operand. When the OPEN
>completes, the ECB is posted with the return code from OPEN. Why? So that I
>can do other things while, perhaps, a tape is being mounted. Things such as
>doing other BSAM type async I/O, or TCP/IP communications, or operator
>communications via a MODIFY, all with a STIMER REAL going which invokes an
>async exit which POSTs as "time out" type ECB.
>
>What really brought this on was a desire to do a MODIFY to a job which was
>"hung" on a tape mount to tell the step to terminate. Why not cancel? Because
>that causes an S222 or S122 abend which is tracked for production jobs and
>results in "pain points" being assigned for "having something go wrong." Even
>when it was a hardware failure. Software should not terminate abnormally for
>any reason. Not even if the entire CEC fails! <sarcasm/> And certainly not
>just because there is some tape hardware problem!

Sounds like a management problem to me, too.

We're a lab, not a production shop, so I haven't suffered that.  But a
recurring irritation is when ISPF hangs because an allocation is waiting
on an operator mount message.  And it won't let me ATTN out to look at
SDSF SYSLOG to determine what's happening.  Pull the plug; log on to
OMVS and browse SYSLOG from there.  Ugh!

-- gil