<snip>

> It's fairly simple to do, providing you're willing to abandon
> system access methods. In authorized code (program, PC routine,
> or SVC) you can issue I/O at will, although it's preferable if
> you allocate the device first (if it's other than DASD), and are
> aware of potential error and recovery situations. To get system
> support for routine error recovery, DDR, and output on dumps, it
> helps to build a DEB, DCB, and IOB, make sure the pointers are
> consistent, etc. All I/O can be carried out by system routines
> (STARTIO, EXCPVR, EXCP, XDAP) and is fairly simple once you get
> it working. Requests are made with ECBs, so you can choose
> whether or not to wait, use a subtask, etc. A simple ECB option
> on OPEN might be insufficient, as you'd presumably also want the
> option on EOV and CLOSE?
>
> Gerhard Postpischil
> Bradford, VT

Good point! Well, once I'm doing I/O, I can do it asynchronously. And I think
that will be OK for EOV processing as EOV is done within the BSAM call, which I
have being done asynchronously. But an ECB on CLOSE might be needed as well.

I was trying to avoid using multitasking "just because". But that would likely
be the simpliest way. And would probably result in more modular, simplier code
too.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell