This also might be a way to go.

>From the DFSMS Introduction Manual SC26-7397-02

Using DFSMShsm Control Data Sets DFSMShsm control data sets (CDS) are
system-type data sets that DFSMShsm uses to keep track of all DFSMShsm-owned
data. They consist of migration, backup, and offline control data sets. The
control data sets are an inventory of low activity and inactive data that was
stored by DFSMShsm and used to manage its environment.

DFSMShsm logs its transactions and maintains multiple backup versions of its
CDSs for recovery purposes as specified by the user.

DFSMShsm can use VSAM KSDS extended addressability (EA) capabilities that use
any of the following serialization techniques for accessing its CDSs:
v Record-level sharing (RLS) access mode
v CDSQ serialization
v CDSR serialization

VSAM EA capabilities allow each migration control data set (MCDS), backup
control data set (BCDS), and offline control data set (OCDS) cluster to exceed
the 4 GB size. The MCDS and BCDS can span up to four unique KSDS clusters. The
OCDS is limited to a single cluster. The same serialization technique must be
used to access all CDSs