The first thing is to ensure Expirebv is being run regularly.

If thats not the problem, then I'd also be looking at the management classes
of your SMS datasets being backed up to ensure that you are not keeping too
many backup versions and/or keeping them too long.

Also worth looking at is how many old backups of non-sms datasets are being
kept. HSM has no way of knowing how long to keep these old backups.(probably
not a cause of sudden growth, but could be a contributing factor to overall
size)

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 8:19 PM, O'Brien, David W. (NIH/CIT) [C] <
[email protected]> wrote:

> Antonio,
>
>  One other question - When was the last time you ran Expirebv? I'm just
> wondering if you have extraneous rescords in your BCDS.
>
> Thank You,
> Dave O'Brien
> NIH Contractor
> ________________________________________
> From: Lizette Koehler [[email protected]]
> Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 7:16 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: DFHSM BCDS is going larger
>
> Antonio,
>
> At this point, you may wish to open an ETR to IBM to identify why your
> files
> are growing so quickly.  I would not think it should grow that fast unless
> there is a lot of backup functions running.
>
> How many volumes/datasets do you do HSM backup for?  It maybe that 4320
> Cylinders is insufficient for your DFHSM Backups.
>
> We do not do many.  We have daily full volume dumps for our critical
> system/application files.  We typically use DFHSM backups for TSO and
> Roscoe
> pools.  Not much else.
>
> I am not sure if there is a rule of thumb as to what makes good candidate
> volumes for backup.  Maybe others might have a suggestion.
>
> Lizette
>
>
> >
> > Hi Lizette and David,
> > thx once more for your sugestions, here is a not so good upd:
> > - My bcds today:
> > ARC0148I BCDS TOTAL SPACE=3132000 K-BYTES, CURRENTLY 188
> > ARC0148I (CONT.) ABOUT 87% FULL, WARNING THRESHOLD=80%, TOTAL
> > ARC0148I (CONT.) FREESPACE=44%, EA=NO, CANDIDATE VOLUMES=0
> >
> > STATISTICS
> >   REC-TOTAL--------4611413     SPLITS-CI----------20950
> >   REC-DELETED-------232332     SPLITS-CA-----------1512
> >   REC-INSERTED------346063     FREESPACE-%CI---------10
> >   REC-UPDATED-------613409     FREESPACE-%CA---------10
> >   REC-RETRIEVED--273730657     FREESPC-------1439428608
> > ALLOCATION
> >   SPACE-TYPE------CYLINDER     HI-A-RBA------3207168000
> >   SPACE-PRI-----------4350     HI-U-RBA------2788392960
> >   SPACE-SEC--------------0
> > VOLUME
> >   VOLSER------------CPS096     PHYREC-SIZE--------12288
> >   DEVTYPE------X'3010200F'     PHYRECS/TRK------------4
> >   VOLFLAG------------PRIME     TRACKS/CA-------------15
> >   EXTENTS:
> >   LOW-CCHH-----X'002E0000'     LOW-RBA----------------0
> >   HIGH-CCHH----X'0270000E'     HIGH-RBA-------426885119
> >   LOW-CCHH-----X'18660000'     LOW-RBA--------426885120
> >   HIGH-CCHH----X'2720000E'     HIGH-RBA------3207167999
> >
> > So, I must schedule an DFHSM intervention soon, and decide if I'll
> > alocate
> > bcds with EA or use multicluster cds (I have Z/OS V1.8 and I don't know
> > how
> > to implement these func. I must read the manuals).
> > Remember that I did the BCDS reorg on December 13th, and it becomes
> > with 52%
> > of free space. So after 15 days it grew 35%. I'ts very strange, we
> > never had
> > to reorg or augment the cds so often,
> >
> > So, any hints are welcome.
> > Many thx once more, A.Cecilio.
> >
> >
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
> send email to [email protected] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
> Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
> send email to [email protected] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
> Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to [email protected] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

Reply via email to