On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:17:33 -0400, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>IIRC, the restriction against legacy datasets is only for programs that do not
>use "fopen" for their files.  As of the last time I tested it awk apparently
>does use "fopen".

Would you commit to supporting code which relies on a feature
that IBM has not commited to support?

IBM's explicit enumeration of five "Utilities supporting MVS data
set names" is a strong implicit statement that IBM is reluctant to
commit to supporting others.  It lays the basis for rejecting any
problem reports in that area.  I suspect there are pitfalls.

-- gil