Some information from a close source...

It was a plain old S0C7 during their batch process.

All Aussie banks use Cemtex ABA format which has been around for years
as a transfer format between organisations. You would think that there
is a validate step before running the transactions against their
databases.

A couple of things:

Most of the support is now with the sub-continent...
The previous grey-haired support staff were either laid off or moved
to "greener pastures"
Not many local staff are competent to manually reprocess or react to
this situation.

As a previous poster noted, probably the new transaction batch goes to
a GDG, the failed process was missed and batch read yesterday's GDG
and hence all the double transactions.

My same source related the tale of a person in same bank who received
an EBCDIC file, opened it in Windows and saved it back as ASCII. The
file was duly transferred for processing on the mainframe. Most of the
packed data was garbaged ......

Oh my, dumb and dumber....

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Shane <ibm-m...@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> As if.
> Can't you just imagine a major Aussie Bank doing that. You were at Bank
> of NSW when they had the IMS fiasco Steve - how much info on that got
> out ? (via Bank press releases I mean :-)
>
> Shane ...
>
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:52:08 +1100
> Stephen Mednick wrote:
>
>> One wonders if a detailed explanation of what transpired will be
>> forthcoming as was the case back in July when the DBS Bank in
>> Singapore had a major outage.

Wayne V. Bickerdike