A couple of things:

A CPU second is a constant. It has nothing to do with the hardware. It is the
approximate number of seconds where a given  CPU was observed to be doing work
as opposed to being in a wait state. How much work is done -is- a variable that
does depend on the hardware. You increase your service delivery by faster
CPU's, more of them, reduced workload, or some combination thereof.

'Sub capacity' is a billing/pricing strategy and does not mean slower
processors. Indeed, it is often a business justification for faster processors.
With the 'sub capacity' strategy comes tools such that management can set some
pretty firm limits on software costs. It is not and should not be confused with
CoD.  You may choose whichever is a best fit for your specific business
situation. You can even choose combinations if you run more than one box.   For
example, 'sub capacity' allows for brief spikes in utilization without penalty.

You are right in that the 'capacity' of modern boxes is no longer a constant.
Indeed, depending on your strategies, it can and will vary moment to moment.
With this variability, 'normalization' is difficult at best.  I might propose
that a meaningful measurement might be to calculate an average of the ratio of
capacity used vs capacity available for each measurement interval. Again, a CPU
second may not a good measurement of CPU capacity.

IMHO, the best measure of latency is when service level objectives are missed.
Perhaps the second best is counting the number of intervals when the box is
running full out. You just can't push the utilization to 100% without latency.
Interestingly enough, CPU seconds just might be a useful metric for this
specific case. That is, if a CPU did not enter a wait state for x clock
seconds, then it is safe to assume that there was latency for each of those x
clock seconds. Latency would increase exponentially as x increases.  Or so
queuing theory would suggest.

HTH and good luck