"Barbara Nitz" <nitz-...@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:<listserv%201107060532590661.0...@bama.ua.edu>...
> >In your note below you left out the number of engines as part of the
equation
> >for hardware MSU.
>
> Ah, the MSU is for one processor only, then! Only when I multiply the
74MSU
> by the 6 processors that we have I arrive at 444 (instead of the
quoted
> 339)., i.e. almost 31% more 'hardware MSU' than 'software MSU'.
>
> > It also sounds as if you want to compute the hardware MSU for a
series of
> > models and show then as bars on the same chart as your actual data.
The
> > best way to do that, in my opinion, is to use service units all the
way
> around.
> > You can do that by converting time back to service units and going
forward.

> This might be an interesting exercise. At this point I am mainly
interested
> in showing the maximum 'capacity' of our basic model.
>
> On the other hand, my management knows that we have 339 MSU - if I
start
> using 444, nobody will have a clue what's what. Which might mean that
> would have to somehow convert the 444 to relate back to the 339 that
are the
> official MSU rating.
>
> As in: We are actually only getting 76% of the full capacity. I could
use
> *that* percentage as 76% of 3600s, meaning the maximum achievable cpu
time
> per 10 minute interval is 2736s.
>
> How's that for being convoluted?
>
> >Please note that this will not give good numbers or anything close to
them if
> > you change model families, such as from a z10 to a z196.  It is only
good
> > within a single family.
> Agreed. But so far we had been staying in the same family :-)
>
> Best regards, Barbara

Consider 2 other things to make it more complicated:
- Software MSUs are in really Marketing MSU's, in fact any other name
than MSU would make the situation more clear.
- Hardware MSUs are really hardware configuration denpendent, which
means that any variation in hardware will change the SU conversion
factor. Vary a CPU online and you have a different amount of MP overhead
and therefor a different SU factor, which is indeed per processor as you
discovered above. We even noticed similar 'hardware' adjustements when
we had a problem with 1 cooling unit and the machine decided to slow
down the processor frequency to produce less heat. The SU factor was
adjusted accordingly at the same moment.

Usually I am happy with the figure "% CPU Utilization", ranging from 0%
to 100%. It is the number of CPU seconds used versus the number of CPU
seconds available, which is clock seconds multiplied by the number of
processors online.

Kees.
e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286