John S. Giltner, Jr. wrote:

as400 wrote:

Hello-

Dispatchers who enter license plate numbers or license numbers to query
about our personal records get authorized to access the DMV databases
in order to do those tasks. My question is, do those records on the DMV
database stored on a DB2 or IMS application on the mainframes? My guess
would be that the DMV uses like an RS6000 mainframe server to access
our records because it takes about 5 seconds for a dispatcher to access
these and query them back to an officer.
Thanks.

A RS/6000 is not a mainframe.

Here in California, DMV uses the large MVS systems at the Stephen P. Teale Data Center in Sacramento. (See http://www.teale.ca.gov) Can't speak for DMV in other/smaller states.

| Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |
| Mgr, Research & Development    | [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
| Phoenix Software International | Tel: (310) 338-0400 x318       |
| 5200 W Century Blvd, Suite 800 | Fax: (310) 338-0801            |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045          | http://www.phoenixsoftware.com |