Perhaps I didn't get enought sleep during staff meeting, ah I mean last night.
But I just had the weirdest thought enter my head. There have been many
complaints about the limit of 255 entries in a GDG. Now, I won't debate that at
all. But how many people who want more actually need to address the older GDG
levels by "goovoo" number, or do GDG-ALL processing on them? If you have an
application where you don't want GDG-ALL, and don't really need to access older
GDG levels by relative generation number, what about defining the GDG with a
LIMIT of 255 and NOSCRATCH? In the old world of CVOL processes, old GDGs "fell
off" and became uncatalogued. But in today's world, without SCRATCH in the
definition, the oldest GDG does not get scratched. It gets "rolled off" the GDG
base and becomes a "normal" cataloged dataset entry. So it stays in the
catalog, and can be referenced by absolute name. I wonder if this would ever be
of some use to anyone.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV