With the SCRATCH set you can write it to tape with a tape retention of the
number of years for the tape to be kept for a similar result. You either
need the tape volser to access it, or you need to catalog it without
rolling it in. This will avoid the generation wrap around that is likely
if you are creating these fast enough to need more than 255.

Thank you and have a Terrific day!

Jonathan Goossen, DTM
ACT Mainframe Storage Group
Personal: 651-361-4541
Department Support Line: 651-361-5555
For help with communication and leadership skills checkout Woodwinds
Toastmasters.

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 06/11/2012
02:46:37 PM:

> From: "McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com>
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Date: 06/11/2012 02:47 PM
> Subject: Weird thought on misuse of a GDG.
> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
>
> Perhaps I didn't get enought sleep during staff meeting, ah I mean
> last night. But I just had the weirdest thought enter my head. There
> have been many complaints about the limit of 255 entries in a GDG.
> Now, I won't debate that at all. But how many people who want more
> actually need to address the older GDG levels by "goovoo" number, or
> do GDG-ALL processing on them? If you have an application where you
> don't want GDG-ALL, and don't really need to access older GDG levels
> by relative generation number, what about defining the GDG with a
> LIMIT of 255 and NOSCRATCH? In the old world of CVOL processes, old
> GDGs "fell off" and became uncatalogued. But in today's world,
> without SCRATCH in the definition, the oldest GDG does not get
> scratched. It gets "rolled off" the GDG base and becomes a "normal"
> cataloged dataset entry. So it stays in the catalog, and can be
> referenced by absolute name. I wonder if this would ever be of some
> use to anyone.
>
> --
> John McKown
> Systems Engineer IV
> IT
>
> Administrative Services Group
>
> HealthMarkets(r)
>
> 9151 Boulevard 26 * N. Richland Hills * TX 76010
> (817) 255-3225 phone *
> john.mck...@healthmarkets.com * www.HealthMarkets.com
>
> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message may contain confidential
> or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient,
> please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
> the original message. HealthMarkets(r) is the brand name for
> products underwritten and issued by the insurance subsidiaries of
> HealthMarkets, Inc. -The Chesapeake Life Insurance Company(r), Mid-
> West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA
> Life and Health Insurance Company.SM

> send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may
contain legally privileged and/or confidential information intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s). If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, forwarding or
other use of this message or its attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete this message and all
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.