Thanks. I think either your and my understanding of roundtrip is flawed, or
Unicode Services understands it differently, or I am missing something.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Tony Harminc
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:02 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Anyone a Unicode Services expert? -- roundtrip conversion

On 12 June 2012 13:59, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> Fair enough. Unicode services reports however that it supports roundtrip
> conversion in many of these cases, including for example, 37 to 850
(pretty
> basic ASCII). What does roundtrip conversion mean? That is my fundamental
> question.

The CDRA Reference and Registry book (SC09-2190-00 - admittedly rather
old...) says this about Round Trip Integrity (in a larger section on
Criteria for Character Set Mismatch Management):

"The objective of this criterion is to send data from one system to
another one that has different representations of character data, and
retrieve it without loss. Often the "do not convert" choice is not
available. For example, data stored in a System/370 database is
configured to have all its graphic character data in one CCSID. If it
acts as a remote repository for data from a PC application, or from an
application in another System/370 using a different CCSID, the data
must be converted to the configured CCSID. The data is intended to be
retrieved by the same application without loss when it is converted
back for use in its original CCSID."

There's more, but I think the notion of Round Trip Integrity is clear
enough.

And having typed that in with the recollection that this book was not
available online, I see that there is an updated version at

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/cdra/

The bit I quoted is in chapter 6.

Tony H.