From: Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:         Fri, 31 Mar 2006 00:00:00
To:IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Over my head in a JES exit

>In an attempt to help customers where the original JES2 sysprog has moved
on to bigger and better things, IBM has decided to provide a service to
help customers evaluate their JES2 exits, and determine if the scope of
their particular project is small/medium/large/xlarge.

>WHY IS THIS A BAD THING?

It's bad because IBM has made a major change that you may not understand, but,
for a fee, they will help you 'fix' it.

This is just another nail in the coffin for the mainframe platform.

Microsoft did the same thing when they consolidated all of the packages into
Microsoft Office, converted to VBA for macros, and invalidated years of
investment in macro coding.
They refused to be compatible with old-style macros and offered to help you
convert (for a fee).

In both cases, I consider this to be a heinous practice.
But, nobody remembers (or cares) that Microsoft did it.

Changing age-old code and then charging you to help convert is not customer
friendly.

-
-teD

I’m an enthusiastic proselytiser of the universal panacea I believe in!