>>In an attempt to help customers where the original JES2 sysprog has
>>moved on to bigger and better things, IBM has decided to provide a
service >>to help customers evaluate their JES2 exits, and determine if
the scope of >>their particular project is small/medium/large/xlarge.

>>WHY IS THIS A BAD THING?

>It's bad because IBM has made a major change that you may not
understand, >but, for a fee, they will help you 'fix' it.

>This is just another nail in the coffin for the mainframe platform.

I agree with Brian. IBM worked diligently to inform customers about the
changes to JES in 1.7. As Dave Danner mentioned, they published an Exit
Migration Guide. They came to SHARE and gave sessions on the changes.
They worked with the SHARE JES2 Project for well over a year prior to GA
on migration/exit issues. They presented sessions on the changes at the
IBM Expo. This another nail in the mainframe coffin for those who won't
read the publications and won't attend conferences. IBM does charge for
their service, but do you really expect them to work for free? I don't.

I am sympathetic to the original poster whose management allowed their
JES2 expertise to disappear.

>It was a joke, man!

If it was a joke, it lost its humor in the translation.

Bob Shannon