On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 14:16 -0400, (IBM Mainframe Discussion List)
wrote:
> I attended a technical  session at a regional CMG in early 1994 done
> by an IBM San Jose disk engineer named Bill Donovan, who had been in
> on the development of every IBM disk  product since day zero

I remember his name was Bill Donnelly?  He did a video once, extolling
the virtues of IBM technology whilst sinking ball after ball at a pool
table, doing a fair imitation of Steve Mizerak's beer commercial.

He occasionally gave executive briefings, and I saw him once at a GUIDE
or SHARE meeting.  A sharp dude who knew his stuff.  But he also
categorically stated that what the StorageTek guys were trying to do
with Iceberg was impossible.  Paraphrasing: "Believe me, there are big
problems with that technology, *hard* problems, that they can't
overcome."

I believed him.  And then STK shipped the 'berg.

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.