On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:36:43 -0700, Gibbons, Mark
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The primary purpose of LISTLOAD XREF output is to map cross references
>between Program Objects, and not locate offsets for certain code within
>the entire Program Object. ...

Purpose and use may be unrelated.  I don't recall EVER using the XREF
info.  I've often used LISTLOAD for determining offset.  I'd say that's
an important use.

>With that said, AMBLIST LISTLOAD XREF output can get you the data you
>need, but it works differently than you'd expect.

If the data is available and the procedure can be described, it can
be programmed.

>Also important to note is that the format specification of a Program
>Object is not publicized. ... The only officially sanctioned
> method of determining offsets within an entire Program Object ...
>is to use the Compiler option listed above to generate an offset
>listing.

But the format of a Program Object is available to the IBMers supporting
AMBLIST, and future changes to that format will be available to them.

>... If there is any other way binder/amblist can
>assist, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Seems like it wouldn't take to much imagination to take this "newly
discovered" use of AMBLIST and the official knowledge of the Program Object
format, and come up with a new, fully supported and sanctioned method
of determining offsets for SLIPs, etc.  Maybe even before the
Requirement is submitted.

Pat O'Keefe