On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 09:33:41 -0700, Edward Jaffe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You've hit a "sore spot" with me. In my experience, anything (not just a
>program) that starts out as a "One Off" or "Quick & Dirty"
>implementation often has a way of eventually being used for daily,
>production use. There's always time to do something over but never
>enough time to do it right the first time.

Part of my program development work frequently includes writing a
"shell" program that is used solely for testing a module.  Initial
testing is usually done with such a shell program setting up a
variety of conditions that the module can be expected to have to
handle.  It is far easier to test some code paths using such a test
program than to test it entirely in it's native environment.  These
shell programs would never be expected to be used in production,
and I seldom worry about them being reenterable or refreshable.

>Like others on this list, I write 99% reentrant code and believe that
>non-reentrant programs and programming techniques should generally be
>discouraged, _especially_ when working with less experienced
>programmers. Of course, there are always exceptional cases in which
>reentrancy can/should not be used.

Ah, but there is that 1%.  This discussion started with the
statement, "There are now few if any---I can in  fact think of
no---circumstances in which it is excusable to write non-reentrant
code."  A sweeping statement of an absolute that some have taken
exception to.  I read your statement to disagree with it too.

Tom Marchant