In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick O'Keefe) wrote:

> I see 2 problems with this.
> 1.  The inflated issue gets given to the support team as a sev1 and may
> take them away from sev2 problems (which may be mine!).  And it may get
> you known as an inflater.  They aren't appreciated.  I try to stay on
> good terms with the service teams I work with (and am often not
> successful).

I have actually had to explain this to IBM marketing types on several
occasions.  When I have complained about a Sev 2 problem being ignored
for weeks, the local marketing folks usually respond "You can escalate
it to Sev 1".

If I really thought it was a Sev 1 problem, I would have reported it
that way.  I think it's ridiculous that IBM reps actually suggest what I
consider abuse of the system just because their response on Sev 2 issues
is unacceptable.  And if I ever do have to report a Sev 1 problem, I
want IBM to treat it as a Sev 1 problem, and not think that maybe it's
really a Sev 2 that I "inflated" to get quicker attention.

In one recent memorable case, the local rep actually called the support
center on a 3-way call with me and asked for a duty manager.  Support
center said we couldn't talk to a duty manager unless the problem was
Sev 1 and had no response for 2 hours.  I said that was absolutely
ridiculous;  it wasn't a Sev 1 problem, but I wanted to talk to somebody
about why there had been no action for months.  Local rep said "Fine,
escalate it to Sev 1 and have a duty manager call us".  Then it turned
into a critsit and I was getting lots of calls from all kinds of folks
about a problem that really wasn't that critical, but just needed a
little more attention than it had been getting.  (And I was told that
the alleged "policy" about not being able to talk to a duty manager
unless the problem was Sev 1 was BS and I should never have been told
that).
--
Matt Simpson --  z/OS Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300