There is no one great method. I've got a routine that does this although my
comments at the front say:

*  Several SERIOUS shortcomings to this routine:
*    1. No multi-volume support.
*    2. "Large file" (z/OS 1.7) and "extended file" support untested.
*    3. What to do about members, VSAM, etc.

The routine gets passed two parameters:

*    1. The name of the dataset, 1 to 44 characters, left-justified
*    2. The first volume on which it resides.
*         The plan is to make this second parameter optional at some
*         point. If the parameter were omitted, the assembler code
*         would use LOCATE and CAMLST to find the dataset.

The code uses OBTAIN and CAMLST to read the DSCB-1 for the dataset. It
totals up the tracks from the DSCB-1. If the DSCB indicates that there is a
DSCB-3, it reads the next DSCB-3 and totals up the tracks from the
DSCB-3(s).

I'd offer to share the code with you but it has several special aspects that
would probably make it unsuitable for your use. I'll answer any specific
questions if you come back here with them. I'll e-mail you the key "total up
the tracks" loop if you e-mail me privately.

Charles