In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 02/28/2007
   at 06:53 PM, "(IBM Mainframe Discussion List)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:

>Don't know about MFT, but MVT was reclassified as Class C (meaning
>frozen,   no more new releases, no more fixes) in November, 1977.

MVT was just an OS/360 sysgen option. It was OS/360 in its entirety
that was frozen.

>MVT was first virtualized in early 1974 as OS/VS2 Release 1, better
>known  as  SVS (Single Virtual Storage).  A fuller version, OS/VS2
>Release  2, was  available a year or so later, and it was quickly
>renamed MVS  for Multiple Virtual  Storages.  MFT evolved into VS1.

My recollection is that the original virtual storage announcement for
S/370 already used the term MVS for OS/VS2 R2. However, you will still
see remnants in the code of the original names, AOS/1 and AOS/2.

>I heard about COS, for Compatibility Operating System, but I'm not
>sure what  was made compatible with what (maybe it was a 360/20
>emulator running  on a  360/30?).

14xx Emulator running under DOS/360.