Patrick O'Keefe wrote:

My experience with DOS preceeded DOS/VSE (and DOS/VS), but as I recall, the linkage conventions for DOS and OS (including pre-MVS) were identical. The difference was that the main routine was entered using a different set (or maybe no set) of conventions - no R13 for save area and no R15
for the entry point.  (R15 may have been iffy in subroutines, too, but
R13 ad R14 were savearea and return addresses.)
Yea, it has taken me years to replace:

NAME    BALR,R12,R0
            BCTR  R12,R0
            BCTR  R12,R0
            USING NAME,R12

NAME   STM  R14,R12,12(R13)
             LR    R12,R15
             USING NAME,R12
            etc....

It is amazing how just just eight or so years on DOS could do that to a person.