Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 9:24 AM
Subject: 2 LPARS Sharing 3494 ATL - Why does SY1 always update TCDB ?

I have just initiated sharing of our 3494 tape robot across 2 LPARS
(Prod and Test).
There is no sharing between the 2 systems.
They have separate range of tapes, separate TCDB, separate CA1 TMC,
separate volumes categories via DEVSUP parm.
Other posts suggest that this approach should work without coding of
CBRUXENT exit
(just using standard CA1 supplied exit).
Problem is that whenever a tape is inserted in the robot SY1 always
inserts it with its category codes and makes an entry in its TCDB,
even if I make an entry in the other
systems TCDB before inserting the tape I still see this behaviour.
My questions are :-

1) Do both LPARS have to be IPL'd for category codes to be effective?
(SY1 is production and is currently using default codes 0001-0004,000E
and 000F but has not been IPL'd with DEVSUP parm yet, whilst test
LPAR2 has and uses codes 0011-0014,001E and 001F).

2) Could this default behaviour be coded in the CBRUXENT ? (I wasn't
here when robot was first installed).

3) Any other suggestions?