First, lets clear up one thing: For most MVS shops this is a non issue. The 3490 drives going off maintenance are not models that were most widely used by MVS shops. The Fxx models are the somewhat peculiar models (previously discussed in this forum) that actually have the hardware capability of writing both 18-track, 3480-mode tapes and 36-track, 3490E-mode tapes (from RS/6000 or AS/400), although they can only write 36-track 3490E-mode tapes from MVS (because MVS doesn't recognize the existence of a device that can act like both a 3480 and a 3490E).

Yes, DVD capacity is greater than the compressed capacity of a 3490 cartridge and cheaper than a 3490 cartridge, but ... few shops have the capability of writing or reading DVD data to or from MVS without manual file transfer being done by someone, versus tape availability to automated batch and long-established procedures for physical security of tapes. Manual file transfer methods may be acceptable when dealing with one or two transfers, but this is not a reliable or practical technique for a large shop with many transfers.

Having your data on a DVD media readily readable and writable by every potential hacker with a PC also introduces additional security breach, data corruption exposures that should first be considered and addressed before using this for exchange of sensitive data.

Many shops may have both 3490E and the newer 3590 capability, but it doesn't make economic sense to use an expensive 3590 cartridge (also more sensitive to mishandling) when a 3490 cartridge will more than hold all the data (nor does it make economic sense to use dozens of 3490 cartridges when a few 3590 carts will do the job). With relatively small files, the mount/unmount time may be more significant than the actual data transfer rate, and the mount/unmount time of 3590's exceeds than that of 3490 drives.

The bottom line, however, is you do what is necessary to support required data transfers to customers or government agencies. State computer centers tend to be a major hangup to technology change, because they are constrained by what State legislatures allow them to do, not by what may be the best technical solution. It hasn't been but a few years since we finally got all State governments to drop requirements for sending data on 6250 bpi reel-to-reel tapes.

R.S. wrote:
I just got this announcement that the 3490-F1A (and others) will be
going off maintenance services on June 30, 2007.

My english is to poor to be tendentious, make allusions, etc. In Polish I also prefer straightforward speaking.

Regarding to the question: 3490E are so small-capacity, so it is simply too slow and to small for nowadays requirement. Yes, I know there are small shops somewhere - OK, I know MS-DOS installations with 386 CPU and 4MB of RAM. I know people still using diskettes. I have 5.25 diskettes in use. In 3174. But I am pretty aware it is really obsolete. I bought in in second hand, never had any support contract. My support is spare box (more than 1) and I know it's NOT mission-critical.

I also have 3490E for software installations. Almost all of vendors *except IBM* can offer some alternative to IBM tapes. Unfortunately, here in Poland Shopz does not offer products as well. Even IBM started using DVDs and other media.

However even if you keep 3490E just for installation tapes, it's *not* mission-critical (installation can wait a day or even week). So, this is my definition of serious customer or rather serious usage.

I would like to remain my previous sentences: it is possible to use the drives without support, it is possible to buy another one from second hand and could be much cheaper than maintenance contract. So - why worry about eos ? I would also mention quality of IBM service. I don't know worse. And more expensive.

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        [EMAIL PROTECTED]