However, you do need to understand that stacking files needed for recovery purposes on a tape already containing recovery data does put the previous data at greater risk. Mechanical drives and physical tapes have the potential at each tape mount for a failure that can result in loss of all data on the tape, and if you do enough stacking on a regular basis it is inevitable you will eventually have such a failure. Our long-term experience with DFHSM and CA-Vtape on 3590E drives confirms this exposure.

If you do stack datasets in this fashion you want to be sure there is a duplexed copy of the data somewhere (possibly on another stacked tape) that you can fall back to, just to cover that eventuality and prevent data loss.