On Jun 16, 2007, at 5:26 PM, Rick Fochtman wrote:

Ed Gould wrote:

On Jun 14, 2007, at 8:51 PM, FRASER, Brian wrote:

I don't think CA was the original developer.

What mainframe software did CA originally develop?

My vague recollection was the cobol optimizer capex. I could be wrong its been ages and ages.

IIRC, CAPEX was the company name. The first CA product I remember was CA-Sort, around 1976.

Yes I remember casort we looked at it (along with syncsort and maybe 1 other) in that time frame. I think we selected Syncsort as (besides IBM's sort) was the only one that supported E61. I was trying to scrap the barnacles off my memory chips and decided I couldn't reliably say one way or the other but for some reason CApex kept coming to the forefront. I did not write the proposal for CAPEX so I don't remember. I know it was proposed to stave off an upgrade to the 4341's we had. As you probably remember the company I worked for was extremely stingy with the $$. I had to write a proposal just for TSO. I was livid when it got bounced back to me as I used the British spelling of a word. I had it retyped and re-proofed in 2 hours and handed back to the VP as he was leaving for the day. He was mad at me for having him missing his train. I personally took it over to the CEO's office and dropped it off with his assistant. The assistant was so surprised that it got back to him it less than a day, I think he thought we were just going to go away. He had no idea how wrong he was.

Ed