If the file is on DASD or TAPE and I knew the layout of the file, I would use
SAS or REXX to filter through and collect the stuff I want.  I do this all the
time with SYSLOG which does not look much different than the DCB provided below.

Or probably could use DFSORT.

COBOL could read the report the same way REXX or SAS would.  Just need to know
where the bits are in it that needed to be collected.

I would use a straight COBOL pgm to read a record, filter, write a record
process.  Nothing complicated.

Or, is there something I am missing here.  This looks like straight SAM
processing.  Nothing special about this file, is there?

Lizette