Howard:  I would recommend OPEN, READ,  CLOSE.     :-)

Nothing peculiar or special or difficult.  I'm sure I don't understand why you
ask.

COBOL is my native language.  I'm gonna be writing a COBOL pgm to read
the sysout from a HSM command to list dumpvols, just any day now.

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:49:58 -0400, Lizette Koehler
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If the file is on DASD or TAPE and I knew the layout of the file, I would use
SAS or REXX to filter through and collect the stuff I want.  I do this all the
time
with SYSLOG which does not look much different than the DCB provided below.

>Or probably could use DFSORT.
>
>COBOL could read the report the same way REXX or SAS would.  Just need
to know where the bits are in it that needed to be collected.

>I would use a straight COBOL pgm to read a record, filter, write a record
process.  Nothing complicated.

>Or, is there something I am missing here.  This looks like straight SAM
processing.  Nothing special about this file, is there?