On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:16:00 -0600, Aaron Walker wrote:

>http://www.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/FLASH10609
>
>Abstract: z/OS 1.9 introduced new support to improve z/OS availability.
>The support, called blocked workload support, is intended to allow
>small amounts of CPU to be allocated to workloads which are CPU
>starved. This support will be rolled back to both z/OS 1.8 and z/OS 1.7.
>This document describes this new support and discusses the processor
>capacity which will be potentially allocated to the function. Also this
>flash will discuss new recommendations which are being made which
>will change the recommended default settings for this function for all
>applicable releases.

Aaron, thanks!  In our often CPU-starved environment we have occasionally
(i.e., too often) seen issues with PDSE lockouts that can cascade into very
unfortunate near outages.  The APARs referenced appear to be a fit for our
issues.  (Time will tell, of course.)  The APARs have been rolled back to z/OS
1.8 at least.

--
Tom Schmidt