Chase, John wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List On Behalf Of Peter Relson

So as a curiosity question - if you can answer - is access to a zIIP
really
being controlled or is lack of knowledge preventing the masses from
rewriting
code so everyone buys as few GP engines as they can and matching
zIIPs
to lower ISV costs?
I am not planning on using one in any code I write, just wondering if

only the
larger ISV's can afford to 'use' the API.
I believe that the information is being given out under a license agreement at no or nominal charge (not positive about this).

It would seem imprudent for someone to write code to an interface that is licensed without having such a license.

It seems illogical to require a license to *write* code to use an
existing API, but *not* require the same (or similar) license to *run*
code already written to use that API.

This is 'philosophical' matter, however you can treat zIIP as HW+SW bundle - processor + license to use the API. BTW: I see nothing bad in writing code without being licencsed API. It was done for years in MS-DOS world (all resident programs prior to 5.0, including NIC and mouse drivers).

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2008 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 zote i zosta w caoci wpacony.