-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chase, John
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 8:47 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: zIIP API for ISV's

Arguably, *any* code that can be written at all can be written in
Assembler, for which a license is delivered with the operating system
license.  Likewise for any API.  "In the end", compilers produce
"executable code", which most easily can be "untranslated" into
Assembler source.

Now that surfaces an interesting quandary:  The IBM licenses generally
prohibit both "disassembly" and "reverse engineering" of IBM code; yet
one cannot make sense out of the contents of a dump without developing
an ability to "read executable code" at least superficially.  "Reading
executable code" almost necessarily is a form of "disassembly" (it's a
lot easier to think in terms of assembler source instructions than to
read the machine code "natively").  So:

1.  At what point does "reading executable code" become "disassembly"
contrary to license provisions?

2.  At what point does "disassembly" become "reverse engineering"?

3.  Would a "sharp" customer programmer who figures out how to write and
successfully execute an SRB enclave on a zIIP without first obtaining
the "zIIP API license" be guilty of "software piracy" of some sort?
Think SHOWZOS.......
<SNIP>

And then start looking at PSI...

All of this is splitting hairs. At some point someone will get a process
patent for breathing.

When will we realize that the point of IP law is being subverted by
PHBs, MBAs, etc.?

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- All opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily
reflect those of my employer. --