Bob Shannon wrote:
If you write code to run on a zIIP on your own system, you will probably be in
violation of the contact someone signed for your processor.

Before there were zIIPs -- only zAAPs -- I tried to find this language and could not. I asked IBM to point it out for me and they could not. Bottom line: you own the hardware. And, unless things have changed since I researched it, there is no specific language in any IBM agreement that prevents you from running anything you want on your hardware. But, IBM deliberately obscures the interfaces to make it almost impossible to discover how to redirect work to a zAAP (and now zIIP) without reverse engineering IBM or ISV software. Such reverse engineering would almost certainly be a violation of a software licensing agreement.

If you write code that runs on someone else's processor, you will probably be
in violation of using an unlicensed interface.

Agreed.

References to DOS aren't relevant.

And, agreed.

--