>The simplest practice is probably just not to rename them in the first place.

I agree in principle - however the sysprogs of yesteryear were not helped by
software being supplied as foo.VnRnMn.bar as thus a complete maintenance
headache when upgrades are required. Even only a few years ago when I was
wearing my sysprog hat I had to juggle the ADCD dataset placement issues
because IBM had moved sys1.foo from volume1 to volume2 between releases for
some strange reason -  thus providing me with a few hours of catalog sync
issues or dataset movement that was time consuming and error-prone.

Rob Scott
Rocket Software, Inc
275 Grove Street
Newton, MA 02466