Tom,

I think that issue is when you are on the edge with space in the dataset.
Every time you copy the member (plus whatever aliases) you create a second
copy of the original member.  If you do a purge of the file, compress and
load, you only have the one copy (plus whatever aliases) and so it just
might fit.

The problem is a compress only removes the "gas" members and does not
necessarily allow for two copies of the same member.

HTH.

Lizette

>sorry, I mean take a backup then cleaning up the library and move all
>data back. this just another option.

How does that differ from a compress?  How will it help when a compress
isn't
sufficient?