From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kelman, Tom
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 10:53 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Connect:Direct (NDM) CPU Usage

We run Connect:Direct (used to be called NDM) from Sterling Commerce.
Yesterday afternoon the started task, CDNDM, took from 50-60% of an
engine on our z9BC for almost 2 hours while it transferred a large file.
This caused us to hit our softcap and affected other tasks in the
system.  We have the CDNDM task running in our STCLO service class which
is set for Vel=50 and an importance level of 4.  It was still running at
a high DP and grabbed the CPU.  I can't understand why a task that is
basically transmitting a file over the network should need this much
CPU.  My only explanation might be that it is compressing the data
before putting it on the network and the compression algorithm isn't the
most efficient in the world.

Has anyone else had this kind of a problem running Connect:Direct?
What, if anything, did you do to control it?

Tom Kelman

Commerce Bank of Kansas City

(816) 760-7632

*****
If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.
*****