On Fri, 2 May 2008 10:53:02 -0500, Kelman, Tom
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We run Connect:Direct (used to be called NDM) from Sterling Commerce.
>Yesterday afternoon the started task, CDNDM, took from 50-60% of an
>engine on our z9BC for almost 2 hours while it transferred a large file.
>This caused us to hit our softcap and affected other tasks in the
>system.  We have the CDNDM task running in our STCLO service class which
>is set for Vel=50 and an importance level of 4.  It was still running at
>a high DP and grabbed the CPU.  I can't understand why a task that is
>basically transmitting a file over the network should need this much
>CPU.  My only explanation might be that it is compressing the data
>before putting it on the network and the compression algorithm isn't the
>most efficient in the world.

Hello... VOL=50 basically means half an engine! (I have no idea how many
engines you have).  Of course this assumes other more important work
is getting done.    But  my point is VEL=50 is very high for an IMP=4
workload (IMO).   Are you sure other higher important work wasn't
meeting goals (what do RMF reports or RMF III tell you).  If they weren't
then you probably shouldn't have seen NDM's DP higher than the work
that was missing goals. I say "probably"... not definitely because WLM
won't make the DP higher if it doesn't think it will help (other factors
causing delay).

>Has anyone else had this kind of a problem running Connect:Direct?
>What, if anything, did you do to control it?

There are lots of things you can do / try.  Lower the velocity, Imp=5,
discretionary, resource group with a MAX.  Maybe the work that had
problems is also not classified correctly (as opposed to this work).

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]